This blog started out as an adoption profile to let others get to know us. We have now adopted the sweetest little guy. His name is Max. He was born with Down Syndrome, and we think he's perfect! This blog is now about our journey forward with him. We have another blog (link here) that details the more crazy everyday happenings in our household. Feel free to check it out as well. I update it more frequently. Someday, I may combine the two blogs. For now, this is for Max, his birthparents, and anyone else who wishes to follow our miracle :)

June 19, 2009

Our first day at PCMC

So we went for our first of many appointments at Primary Children's Medical Center regarding Max's heart.
This is Georgia saying goodbye as we left at 9:30am for our {8 hr} appointment.
And after a sedated echo {and other tests}, this is how we finally got to come home at 6pm... on oxygen.
Max's oxygen levels were really low after the sedation, especially when he would eat.
{they wanted them above 80 and his would drop into the 60's and 50's when eating}
We spent a couple of hours just hanging out trying to get the numbers up, but he was really groggy. {these pictures are from today, not the groggy little guy}

The monitor hook-up...
Luckily, today he seems to be doing fine, even without the oxygen. So we'll keep monitoring him for a few days and hopefully be back to normal.
Our cardiologist, Dr. Saarel, thought Max was doing fine and thought he should wait until he's 4 months old to do the open heart surgery. So we didn't get it scheduled. I am kind of bummed about that. I really want to get it over with. Maybe after she looks over the echo she'll change her mind :)

We also went to our first Utah Down Syndrome Foundation event last night. Actually, just Max, my mom, & I went. Piper crashed after a full play day at a friend's, so she and Steve didn't make it. It was great to meet a few 'blog commentors' and others who have gone through this whole process before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry I missed the luau! I am sick. You guys would have ran me out of the park :-) I'm happy to read that Max is doing fairly well considering all things!

Emily said...

It was so good to meet you! Little Max is darling! I feel like Justin's sedated echo and PDA closure was just yesterday. Time flies by. Let's keep in touch!
Emily

Unknown said...

What you describe is exactly what we experienced the first few days of his life at the hospital. Eating was a huge inhibitor and he had to have frequent forced breaks to "catch his breath".

Overjoyed to hear that it was short lived like before and also that he is as tough as I knew.